Boys & Girls Clubs of Metro Louisiana works continuously to enhance robust safety policies and actions to ensure young people remain safe in Clubs. Through our board-led Child & Club Safety Committee, we implement layers of safety policies and guidelines to keep our kids safe including:
- Background Checks: Mandatory annual criminal background checks for staff and volunteers.
- Mandatory Reporting: We are required to immediately report any suspected abuse or victimization to the appropriate authorities and then to Boys & Girls Clubs of America.
- Safety Committees: We have a Board- led Safety Committee elevating safety to the highest level of governance, and are required to fulfill the same responsibilities at every Club.
- Mandatory Safety Assessments: We are required to complete a mandatory annual safety assessment.
- Reference Requirement: Any employee looking to move to another Club, MUST have a reference from the previous Club to be eligible for rehire.
- Continuous Enhancement: Continual updates to Clubs’ sexual abuse prevention polices, practices, and trainings that align with best practices of healthcare and school-based settings.
- Resources for Families and Staff: Impactful training and resources for Club youth and families focused on mental health and social-emotional development.
- Resources for Youth Members: We are required to prominently display key safety resources and information, including the Child Safety Helpline and Crisis Text Line
- Policy Communications: We must inform parents and guardians of safety policies when they receive a youth membership application.